Have you come to that point in your life when you are ready to express your eternal love and commitment to your partner by asking for their hand in marriage? If the answer is yes, then chances are you have either started or are getting ready to look for that perfect ring!
If this is you and you are feeling a mix bag of feelings; excitement, overwhelmed and daunted all at the same time, we can reassure you that these feelings are completely normal. To help put you at ease and enjoy the journey it is a good idea to do a bit of forward planning and research.
To make the journey as enjoyable here are our top tips to consider:
1. First and foremost you need to decide on how much you would ideally like to spend. It’s very easy to be overwhelmed by the abundance of dazzling diamond rings, as it is to give into temptation and possibly spend more than you would like.
2. Allow plenty of time! Engagement rings are a significant and sentimental purchase and deserve the time you take. Keep in mind that custom made engagement rings can take approximately 4 – 6 weeks.
3. Diamond or coloured gemstones? Since ‘diamonds are a girl’s best friend you can usually do no wrong when purchasing a diamond engagement ring. But some girls love a splash of colour and coloured gemstones might be perfect for them! Chances are if your partner has her heart set on a coloured gemstone she will make sure you know!
4. Consider the style. Engagement rings styles are endless, so before stepping foot into a jeweler’s spend some time getting an idea of the design you are after. It can be confusing staring into a cabinet with a
plethora of different designs.
5. What shaped diamond? The most popular style is the Round Brilliant set as a solitaire in a six-claw setting. This is of course is not the only option.There are several other beautiful ‘fancy’ cut diamond shapes to choose from. The best thing is, Fancy cut can often be more affordable than an equivalent Round Brilliant. Round Brilliant diamonds are the most popular and demand a premium.
6. Read up on the 4C’S. Your first appointment with a jeweler can feel like you have been bombarded with information. So that you get the most out of your appointment, do some reading to familiarize yourself with the 4c’s, the grading system of diamonds.
7. When you are ready to book an appointment give the jeweler as much information as possible, the style, the gemstones and size (if you know it) and how much you would ideally like to spend. It’s very helpful from the jeweler’s perspective. This way they can source a selection of beautiful diamonds or gemstones that sit within / around your budget.
Enjoy the journey! Engagement ring shopping should be exciting and memorable! With a little forward planning, the experience will be a pleasant one!
Article Submitted By: Sarah, Larsen Jewellry
Giveaways + Sweepstakes
Enter sweepstakes & giveaways and enter to win a free honeymoon when you join. New winners are announced every week!